Saturday, March 3, 2007

Where do I host my website… and how much does it cost? Part 1

Here, I am going to be blunt… “I don’t know where you should host your website”

Why? “Because I haven’t a clue about who you are or what your website is about”

“What’s more is that I don’t know what you want from your website”

Sorry about the bluntness… but it is a fact that cannot be denied.

Okay, understanding that you are starting from the complete unknown, let’s get a little more focused about what is available. First, you need to quickly ask yourself some questions…

Do you want to create a website that is purely about yourself?
Do you want to create a web site about subjects that interest you… like art, sport, health?
Do you want to sell something?

If so, I can’t really recommend you do anything more than get a web log started… IT’S AS SIMPLE AS THAT… START YOUR OWN BLOG!

I you’ve read my earlier postings you will already know that I am a fan of ‘blogging’. I’ve only recently found the freedom that it gives you…

You can talk about what you like whenever you like. And, providing you aren’t criminal or abusive in what you say and are careful about how you say it… YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU LIKE!

What you can’t do… is SELL. (Well, not directly)

As a follower of “How To Design Your First Website” you will also know that it was created and hosted with ‘Blogger’ at www.blogger.com … it cost nothing… it was FREE.

What better opportunity can you ask for?

You want to talk about yourself and what is happening in your life… You’ve got it!
You want to share your thoughts and interests about subjects that you are excited about… You can do it!

And, if you are careful…

You can, indirectly, sell stuff by letting people share your knowledge about the benefits of what you market… what to use… how to use… where to use… and how often…

I enjoy writing a web log. What I like about a blog is… “It is friendly” You are talking to like-minded friends about things that interest you… you have the chance to talk with many friends who share your interests… and share what you know.

“Can you ask for more?”

What are you waiting for? It is easy to set up a Blogger account. Within an hour you really could have the bones of your first website and be fleshing it out with your enthusiasm, energy and ideas in little more time than that.

See you soon,

Mike

No comments: